5 million people helped and counting  >  Call 1-888-888-CARE or Get Started Now
Article library
"We consider the CareOne coaches as our partners helping us with our situation."Brandon A., Omaha, NECareOne Customer

Dependency Status - How It Affects Federal Student Aid

What is Dependency Status on the FAFSA Application?

On the FAFSA application you will be asked to identify yourself as either a dependent or independent student. So it's probably good to understand exactly what the designation means and how your choice will affect the amount of your financial aid you're eligible for. 

An independent is anyone who:

  • is 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year.
  • is an orphan or ward of the court or was a ward of the court until the individual reached the age of 18.
  • is a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States.
  • is a graduate or professional student.
  • is a married individual.
  • has legal dependents other than a spouse.
  • is an emancipated child as determined by a court judge.
  • is a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.

You are a dependent if you don't meet these requirements. Typically the FAFSA determines you are a dependent if you receive half of your income from your parents. Even if you file as an independent on your taxes, you might not be considered as one for financial aid purposes.

In rare cases, your school's financial aid officer can override the FAFSA results to help you get more aid if you can demonstrate a compelling case that your parents and family provide no support and you're not really a dependent. If you need a professional judgment override for dependency status, gather up as much documentation as you can - from rent bills to utility bills - to the legal judgment from a court emancipating you from your parents and bring it to your financial aid advisor.

It's always worth a shot, but these overrides happen very rarely.

Special Circumstances for Dependency Status

  • Adopted children. You are legally the dependent of your adoptive parents unless you meet the independent requirements above.
  • Foster children. You must live with your foster family for an entire year to qualify as their dependent.
  • Emancipated children. If you are a minor, you can legally emancipate yourself from your parents. However, once you are 18 years old you are already emancipated. Therefore, financial aid offices do not consider emancipated children as independents unless the meet the requirements or have made an appeal. Not being claimed as a dependent on your parents' income tax return does not change your financial aid status.

How Does it Affect Your Federal Student Aid?

Your federal student aid is affected by your dependency status. The FAFSA will determine your EFC based on your sole income if you are an independent or your access to your parents' income if you are a dependent. Since students are likely to make much less than their parents, most people want to be claimed as an independent so they can try to receive more aid. 

If you liked this you may also like:

  • Student Financial Aid 101

    Parents and high school students dream of the first day of college. Don't let the cost of a higher education dampen your spirits. Help may be available to you in the form of financial aid.

  • Depression, Stress, and Anxiety on the Rise in Colleges

    A 2008 national survey of college therapists conducted by the American College Counseling Association (ACCA) showed that the number of students seeking mental help has significantly increased in recent years. In fact, 95% of the college therapists surveyed said more students were coming to them with serious psychological problems. Nearly one in every ten students is now utilizing campus therapists to deal with mental and emotional problems.

  • Pell Grant Guide

    The Pell Grant is one of the many financial aid options provided by the federal government, and it's possibly the best known grant out there. The Pell Grant program was begun by the Department of Education way back in 1972, making it the granddaddy of federal grants.

  • College Tuitions Jump Across Country, but Financial Aid Keeps Pace

    Well, the news is in, and tuition prices are up. The most recent report out of the College Board announced that the average tuition at four-year public colleges in the U.S. rose $429 to $7,020, a 6.5% increase of last year’s numbers. Private colleges experienced a similar incline, as tuitions across the country rose 4.4% to $26,273. Including room and board, the price tag associated with public schools jumps to $15,213. Private schools face an average cost of $35,636 when you factor in the costs associated with college life outside of the classroom.

  • Art Portfolio: Applying to an Art School

    If you're a student who's been involved in the fine arts throughout high school and want to continue on when you get to college, it's a certainty that you'll need to submit a portfolio for review along with your application. For serious art students these portfolios can become the breaking point in the application process. Often they can actually turn into a difficult project to manage as you simultaneously put together the rest of your application.

Begin our online process to see your personalized savings.

Start Now

Back Print

Quizzes and Polls

What's your debt IQ? Take one of our quizzes and find out how much you know about financial fitness.

Take the Quiz Now!

Stay On Track

Subscribe to our newsletter, packed with great articles, tips, and advice to help you make the most of your money.

Subscribe Now!

Crunch the Numbers

Our calculators can help you figure out your budget, credit card payments, mortgage, and more!

Learn More
Debt Help - CareOne Debt Relief Services
Offering CareOne Debt Relief Services: